As our Chief Data Scientist you lead our data science teams and projects, driving product innovation combining our domain expertise and internal data assets with 3rd party structured and non-traditional sources of data. You will build data infrastructure and data solutions that are deployed within products to the market. You will be instrumental in creating new business value by leveraging data across and within product units to extend our capabilities in data science and machine learning. At Powel AS, data is at the center of everything we do and we are seeking to build up our center of excellence for data-driven decision-making in the utilities market.
You will drive our Advanced Analytics & Data Science strategy in this domain, and develop, communicate, and execute a vision for meeting our organization’s and client needs. Bring your focus on building unique data science and predictive analytics solutions leveraging the combined data assets of the Powel organization and inspire a data & analytics-driven culture at Powel.
- Join a world-class team of data scientists and researchers with an extensive track record in both academia and industry.
- Bring a combination of mathematical rigor and innovative algorithm design to create models that extract relevant insights from unstructured and structured data to provide meaningful predictive and automization capabilities.
- Learn, develop, and apply new techniques in the intersection of math, probability, and optimization.
- Translate unstructured, complex business problems into an abstract mathematical framework, making intelligent approximations when needed to put your algorithm to work at scale.
As part of the Cloud Leadership Team, you will report directly to the CTO and and work closely with leads from the Powel product units to drive on a number of important data initiatives.
You will bring your experience building production ready machine learning solutions, machine learning and statistical analysis, good programming and scripting capabilities, combined with exceptional communication skills. The role will focus on working hands-on towards building advanced analytics capabilities, broaden exposure to analytical toolkits and alternative data assets within the organization and build a data scientist community that the organization can leverage to drive product innovation.
Hands-on Leadership Capabilities:
- Lead a bold agenda around the use of internal and third party data assets, both in the traditional and alternative data domains, in new creative ways.
- Promote and encourage the use of big data and machine learning tools to build and launch the data foundations of our new products
- Engage with the product unit and solution teams to design the optimal data architecture for a new scale platform and infrastructure to support data and analytics based product innovation
- Drive, collaborate and align with business units to ideate and build solutions in the next generation predictive analytics space.
Building a strong Data Science team:
- Build, manage, direct, coordinate and mentor a high impact data science team (consisting of approx 15 people currently).
- Demonstrate and promote analytics, machine learning and data visualization capabilities of the team to key members of the organization.
Executing on our Priorities:
- Manage data analytics requests and turn them into clearly defined projects for the team, with well-defined parameters and deliverables. In addition, lead efficient, accurate and timely data analysis projects, and effectively communicate findings.
- Develop relationships with various internal customers and contribute to the formation and execution of Powel overall business plans.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Detailed knowledge in multiple data domains – Familiarity with a variety of data assets such as geo-spatial data, time-series data, sensor signals, prices, etc.) in predictive analytics.
- Master’s/PhD degree in a quantitative discipline, finance or equivalent experience preferred
- Should have worked with analytics and visualization tools such as Azure ML/Analytics, Alteryx, SPSS, Qlik, PowerBI, etc.
- A true evangelist of data science. Must be skilled at representing Powel in external forums (conferences, industry meetings) as well as at promoting advanced analytics to internal constituents across the organization. Must possess cross-cultural sensitivity and be able to work in an international team including managing offshore and outsource resources
- Ability to translate strategic imperatives at the macro level into specific initiatives and priorities for operational creation and execution.
- Must have good operational skills as well as strategic understanding of business and product requirements.
- Continuously monitor and keep abreast of tools, methodologies, data, and competitive movement and respond with strategies and tactics to maintain or alter strategy.
- Thorough knowledge of technology systems; has the ability to work with development teams to ensure on-time, on-budget delivery of effective database technology.
Location can be Trondheim or Oslo.
We encourage both qualified Norwegian and international applicants to apply for this role. Initial interviews may be conducted over Skype and a re-location package may be considered for the right candidate.
If you are interested in this role, please send your application and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org before 30 January 2017. Please mark your application with “Chief data scientist” in the subject field.
For any questions about the role, contact Chief Technical Officer Cloud, Kevin Gjerstad at (+47) 905 44 225
ABOUT POWEL AS
Powel AS, headquartered in Trondheim, Norway, delivers business-critical software solutions and related services specifically designed to help energy companies and public utilities improve daily operational processes and service quality. The company is a market leader in software solutions for grid operations and maintenance, energy production and smart metering, with offices in Oslo Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Poland, Turkey, Switzerland and Chile. Powel's client list includes 1,000 public and private customers in Europe. Founded in 1996, Powel AS is a privately held company with more than 480 employees. www.powel.com
Powel is focused on supplying modern, intelligent cloud applications and solutions. By combining state of the art software technology including advanced analytics, machine learning and big data solutions, with decades of industry expertise and technological know-how, Powel creates the ideal basis for customers to optimise their business activities. Powel’s systems are business critical for generators, traders and utilities in open markets. Years of experience in and in-depth knowledge about these deregulated and highly competitive markets have positioned Powel AS as a market leader in the Nordic region.